Wednesday 11 July 2012

Sixth Form Ball #8

Last Friday was our Sixth Form Ball and it's kind of lame to admit it, but I was so excited for it. Our Year 11 Prom was a bit rubbish, probably because I didn't really know what to expect - it was essentially a glorified disco.
This time, I knew what I was getting - a sit down meal, a jazz band, an after-dinner DJ in the town hall.
It would be the last time I would see most of my classmates and year group together so it was going to be a pretty emotional time saying goodbye to everyone before we all go off to do our own thing.

Everyone was praying for the weather to be nice, warm and sunny, but in true British style, it poured and poured and poured. Any hopes of outdoor photos went out the window pretty early on in the day. Nevertheless, everyone looked so nice glammed up - I can't recall a single person who looked bad and I'm actually kind of impressed with a few.
Some of the teachers came and it was kind of strange to see them again; I haven't been to school in so long that I was beginning to forget what they looked like - likewise with some of my classmates.

After our meal (I had no idea of some of the stuff I was eating), it was time for possibly the most anticipated part of the evening - the awards. There weren't trophies as such but instead winners were presented with a certificate and a rose which was pretty cute.
Anyway, I've always loved the presentation of awards - my hands always go bright from clapping so much but it's so fun to watch; even better if the winners are deserving.
There were the regular awards like Mr and Mrs School for reflecting the values of the school so well, prizes for the most determined and hardest working and then there were some less orthodox awards.
There was a set of awards for "Snow White and Friends" - for Happy, Dopey, Sleepy, Grumpy, Bashful, Doc and Snow White herself.

Our head of year did a mini speech to announce the winners and most of the time I had some small inkling about who it would be (even though I was very very wrong on some occasions). Most of the speeches were pretty vague and could apply to half the year group but more often than not you'd be able to guess.
When the head of year started reading out Doc, I had a few people in my head as to who it could be, but the more my head of year read, the more I realised she was talking about me...

It's so bizarre to be on the other side of the audience - something I am really not used to.  Half my school mates and teachers swarmed  over to congratulate me saying that they knew it was going to me - even if I had no inkling.

After the awards, it was time for... the "disco". I feel kind of lame saying the disco because it takes me back to primary school but I have no idea what to call it. We managed to boogie with the chemistry teachers and even had a whirl with the head of year (to the appropriate song "I Predict a Riot").

Teachers kept approaching people to ask what we were doing next year and it suddenly dawned on me that we'd all be gone in a few months - I think I was denying the idea of leaving school and people behind. I feel almost too young to go off to uni but at the same time, I'm really really excited. It's probably pretty normal to feel like that, even if some of my friends wouldn't hesitate to go right this very second.
The Sixth Form Ball was definitely good fun - the people who didn't go have no idea what they were missing - the perfect send off before we hit the big wide world.

It was a really great night that I will remember fondly and hopefully it won't be one I'll be forgetting any time soon.
How beautiful is my rose? Still shocked to have won something!! 


No comments: