Monday 11 June 2012

Almost there... #3

My exams aren't even over yet and I'm already thinking of the Summer. I just can't wait to finally have a bit more time on my hands.
The holiday is just two days after my last exam and seeing as I have to work the day before, I have to be super efficient with my packing since I normally leave it until the last minute.
Then we get back in time for my 18th birthday - I'm not sure if I should have a get-together at home or just go down the pub with everyone. Most of my friends have had parties, bigging up being 18 and that but I don't really understand the hype of it all; sure, I'll be able to buy alcohol but I've still got the rest of my life to get as hammered as I want (I've heard that med students are particularly bad during freshers' week, the future looks bright!). I guess I'll finally be considered an "adult" even though I might not act or feel like one ;)

The Sixth Form Ball is pretty exciting too, though I cannot believe how expensive it all is. £32 is pretty pricey for a buffet if you ask me, but I guess it's a rite of passage before we all go off to do our own things. It'll be the last time I see a lot of my year group and teachers, which in some cases is a good thing.

I'm also planning to go and drop into the "active living centre for the senior citizens" where I volunteered with my friend for 9 months. It's essentially a day centre for the elderly where we just sat around a table and chatted to them. We ended up making a little journal for the members, documenting all the things we talked about. After we left, I was kind of relieved it was over - don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of it, but I needed to reclaim some of my own time.
Volunteering is such an amazing thing, no matter how big or how small. I feel kind of guilty because the reason I volunteered in the first place was to get some more experience before I applied to uni. I was lacking on the work experience front and considered it as a last resort, but when I joined the group, I realised how stupid I was for not realising the value of volunteering earlier. I'd do it all again in a heart beat.
I guess I should start an education/academics page for any nosey people who happen to read my blog and wonder what I have achieved schooling wise and what I am planning to do at university (grades permitting).

So my next exam is in 2 days and I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it - normally I get really hyped up and stressed but for some unknown reason, I feel kinda confident about this one. It's partly because I have some amazing teachers, but I'm never normally this calm - it's scaring me. I should be like this more often, people like chilled individuals...

No comments: